Super Bowl Sunday is a big deal, for athletes, fans and advertisers.
In the case of Skechers, a Manhattan Beach-based global footwear giant, its 30-second ad has finally officially aired, prompting the TwitterVerse to once again explode with Tweets, aka comments, about the commercial.
And picketers have been active, too. Just today, on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 5, with the big game airing at 3 p.m. on the West Coast, reports of animal advocates picketing Skechers stores hit the Internet. In San Diego, on Saturday, Feb. 4, a Pacific Beach Skechers had picketers outside its doors.
In the same report, PETA was said to be protesting the ad, too. The organization asked people to send a letter to Skechers President Michael Greenberg to protest the ad.
“Greyhound racing is a cruel sport, it exploits the dogs,” said Pam Harris, a protest organizer.
However, word after the big game summed up the uneventful Super Bowl spots: "Too many commercials fell back on tactics that were too familiar from a plethora of Super Bowl spots: anthropomorphic animals, second-class celebrities, slapstick violence and riding the coattails of popular culture. Risk-taking, rule-breaking ideas were as hard to find among the more than 50 commercials as good taste in a GoDaddy ad," according to the New York Times.
Here's a sampling of tweets about the ad from today, Sunday, Feb. 5:
- From CassidyMcm: RT @GREY2KUSA: For BestFriends Elmer the Greyhound &Bridget plz vote ThumbsDown 4 #Skechers SuperBowl ad http://t.co/4K6FZf7H @ASPCA #dogs
- From WBeaster: Shame on #Skechers: Their #SuperBowl ad promoted Greyhound racing! #uglytruth @SKECHERSUSA
- From Ruthinlaguna: I thought the same thing. :( RT @ASPCA: Shame on #Skechers: Their #SuperBowl ad promoted Greyhound racing! #uglytruth @SKECHERSUSA
- From BeckyBrensinger: 1.#M&M 2.#Skechers- way to step your game up! The #moonwalk's a #winner everytime!
- From Charlydrew: Watched it again. My bad not a pug, looks to be a French Bulldog. Either way way funny. #skechers
- From chelseaDUH: RT @desertsheepdog: #Skechers spot with Mr. Quiggley the French Bulldog made me laugh out loud #BrandBowl #MarkCuban
- From JenTroester: #skechers needs a time out for that #SuperBowl ad. Dog racing is not cool.
- From RatedRDiva: All of the commercials involving dogs were amazing! #Doritos #Volkswagen #Skechers :) The M&M's commercial was GOLDEN, too!!
- From NotGoyRutterman: Ditto. Need to get me a pair. “@shleeshlee: Some good commercials...love the frenchie crossing the finish line in his #skechers”
- From: Brennan_Com211: #Skechers Mr. Quiggley AD was by far the best http://t.co/rkjCJ9Vr #SuperBowl
- From terryh0145: @YouTube the #Skechers commercial is the best so far with the #Volkswagen a close second
- From LinchpinsAU: My fave Superbowl ad so far... Skechers http://t.co/ZByqbkiz #skechers #superbowlad
- From Miranda__LeeAnn: I'm gonna buy my dogs some of those running shoes. #Skechers
- From JacqHoward: Rumor has it, #Skechers' next commercial is being filmed at a pitbull fighting ring. Why not? #Boycott #Skechers #Adopt_a_Greyhound
- From towo17: A greyhound's message to "Mr Quiggly" tell #skechers that dog racing isn't funny http://t.co/sbWFL1gi via @GREY2KUSA
- From shesosocial: Worst #sbads - #GoDaddy and #Skechers. greyhound racing? really??? #insensitive #dosomeresearch
- From Mike_Wegner: Shame on #Skechers for filming their shoe commercial at a Tuscon greyhound track known for animal abuse.
- From justonecupcake: So far #Skechers is one of the best TV Commercials #SuperBowl
- From joklare: More #greyhounds please. Nice job #skechers!
- From davisesq212: Best commercial so far: #ClintEastwood then #VW then #Skechers and then #Pepsi
- From juicynougat: maybe @Madonna should get a pair of those #skechers #SuperBowl
- From ChartYourCourse: @RadioPRAlex Loved the @VW and #Skechers ads, so far. Still holding out hope for more.
- From kkosatka: Regardless of the controversy over the #Skechers ad, I must say, Mr Quiggley is pretty fab! http://t.co/vXp4Z6pF
- From Lisa_822: Moonwalking Bulldog. Hands down. #skechers RT @Nickelback What's been your favourite commercial so far?
- From SamiShenanigans: Love all of the dog commercials! #Doritos #VW #Skechers
- From Lexus4Lisa: Mr. Quiggly #Skechers commercial was pretty funny. However, lots of people hate the dog racing concept. #JustSaying
- From theweirdcard: “@AdamMatthews26: I will never buy #Skechers shoes...” I thought about getting them
- From annegosser: Dude, seriously. Dogs are freakin' hilarious. #VW #Doritos #Skechers
- From : Lesg_2411: #skechers tryna get some good publicity during da super bowl
- From DOBBIE1221: The dog was the best commercial. Funny. #Skechers
- From mckeemichael1: Commercial was awesome! http://t.co/6GI9cslz @GetGlue #Skechers
- From ArmySisterof2: Lovin the commericals. Lovin Mr Quiggly and #skechers so far kids like the Slingshot baby for #doritos
- From Pot_KettleBlack: Can't believe how many people are liking the #skechers commercial. It's my dog's b-day and still hated it.
- From dayanabby: need a French bulldog after watching that #skechers commercial!!
- From ZnEcBsRuA: No #Skechers for me! “@GREY2KUSA: Here's a real Super Bowl, a Super Bowl of the Greyts! http://t.co/AZ1OUWvw”
- From LizDeLoach: Loved #skechers ad. What beats a moonwalking french bulldog? #notmuch #superbowl46 #brandbowl
- From miflan: Boycotting #skechers for #greyhound racing? Then boycott beer for Clydesdale commercials, too. #idiotic
- From DrMathochist: "MOST IMPROVED AWARD: #Skechers. Last year Kim Kardashian. This year Mr. Quigley." /via @adweek #sbads
- From clueless_mama: Love the commercial with the little Bulldog wearing #Skechers. Very cute. #Superbowl
- From 4West1: #skechers #superbowl ad makes me sick http://t.co/Ex1fu6nb
- From BridgetCSays: So dumb! Loved the #Skechers & the #ETrade ! RT @msmaggietruitt: Vampire Audi commercial was so so dumb. #SuperBowl
To view the ad, go to .
For tweets from Saturday, Feb. 4, see .
Of note, the National Greyhound Association wrote on its website: "Because the Super Bowl is perhaps the most widely watched TV show of the year, and its ads attract incredible attention, it could mean a lot of exposure for the world's greatest canine athlete--who, in addition to their grace and athleticism, happen to also make ideal pets after their retirement from racing."
The association noted: "Skechers has assured those objecting that no animals were placed in any danger or risk during the filming of the commercial..."