The Manhattan Beach Police Department offers the following holiday shopping and safety information for when you're out and about:
- Thieves are looking for an easy target in parking lots of malls, banks and shopping centers. Be aware of your surroundings and pay attention to activity around you.
- Lock your vehicle at all times. This includes when you are going in for “just a minute.”
- Avoid leaving valuables in your vehicle. If you must leave packages in your car, put them in the trunk. Keep receipts with you.
- Whenever possible, park and walk in well-lit areas.
- Carry your purse close and tight to your body. Never leave your purse in a shopping cart unattended. Avoid carrying large amounts of cash. Consider taking only what you need – ID and the credit or debit cards you intend to use.
- Notify your credit card provider immediately if your credit card has been lost, stolen or misused.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages. It is important to have clear visibility and freedom of motion to avoid mishaps.
- When arriving home and unloading your purchases, make sure you secure your vehicle when unattended. Opportunists may be passing by and help themselves to your items.