With sub-freezing nighttime lows forecast for many areas in Southern California through Monday morning, the Los Angeles Fire Department joined the Southern California Gas Co. today in reminding the public of safety tips to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide exposure.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur as a result of a poorly ventilated heater or a carbon monoxide leak from another source. Symptoms can include nausea, headaches and paralysis.
Here are tips to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:
-- Never use a gas oven, portable barbecue or range for space heating;
-- carbon monoxide poisoning can occur as a result of a poorly ventilated heater. Have natural gas furnaces checked at least once a year by a licensed heating contractor or the Southern California Gas Co.;
-- vacuum and clean regularly in and around the furnace, particularly around the burner compartment to prevent a build-up of dust and lint; and
-- never store items in, on or around the appliance that can obstruct airflow.