The Manhattan Beach Fire Department, in honor of Fire Prevention Week, which begins Sunday, offer the following fire prevention tips:
- Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, broiling or boiling food.
- If you must leave the room, even for a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- When you are simmering, baking or roasting food, check it regularly, stay in the home, and use a timer to remind you.
- If you have young children, use the stove’s back burners whenever possible. Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the stove.
- When you cook, wear clothing with tight-fitting sleeves.
- Keep potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper and plastic bags, towels and anything else that can burn away from your stovetop.
- Clean up food and grease from burners and stovetops.
For information about Fire Prevention Week activities and how to prevent fires, contact the Manhattan Beach Fire Department's fire marshal’s office at (310) 802-5206.