- An amendment to increase pay from $20,000 to $46,000 for a deputy city clerk will go before City Council at its meeting Tuesday at 6 p.m. in council chambers, 1400 Highland Ave. The original staffing agreement between an agency and the city was made on June 21 at a rate of $45 per hour up to a $20,000 expenditure. If council approves the item Tuesday, the hourly pay rate will move to $55 per hour with an expense maximum of $46,000. The $46,000 is not budgeted and staff asks that it come from the unreserved general fund. The city's agenda packet (page 129 of 411) says the coverage is for a staff member on an extended absence.
- Today is Columbus Day, a federal holiday. Find out what's open and what's not here. Some banks are, some aren't. Trash and city hall news, too.
- Two Mira Costa High School seniors were named homecoming king and queen Friday night. Read about them here.
- Make sure you're "Patched In" to get alerts on breaking news as it happens in town this week (and after), make sure you are signed up to get our emails. Click on the 'get the daily newsletter' at the top, right corner of this page. (If you see something that says, "hi, username," then you're already registered. In that case, click on "email settings" under the drop-down tab under your name.)
- Where are the great spots to see Halloween decorations in Manhattan Beach? Tell us in the comments below or email email@example.com.