- The Association of Volleyball Professionals is looking for volunteers for the Manhattan Beach Open Friday through Sunday. You could be a ball shagger, runner, VIP tent person, score keeper and other prime assignments. Volunteers receive a free exclusive AVP volunteer T-shirt, exclusive AVP volunteer cap/visor, John Wayne Cancer Foundation sunscreen, exclusive access to players for signatures and personal interactions and free meal per volunteer shift. Details are here.
- Polystyrene may get the boot in Manhattan Beach. Presently, the material is banned in certain uses, however, a new proposed ordinance would stretch the ban's reach even more. Several local restaurants are opposed to the proposed ban; other groups support it. The proposed new ban is on the City Council agenda for tonight' meeting, which begins at 6 p.m. in council chambers at 1400 Highland Avenue. As with all regularly scheduled City Council meetings held in chambers, the meeting will be webcast live.
- Jenny Kropp, Whitney Pavlik, Sean Scott and John Hyden will receive their Volleyball Walk of Fame inductions Thursday for their 2012 victories in the Manhattan Beach Open. The ceremony takes place on the Manhattan Beach Pier at 3 p.m.
- School starts on Wednesday, Aug. 28 for students enrolled in MBUSD.
- Make sure you're "Patched In" to get alerts on breaking news as it happens in town this week (and after), make sure you are signed up to get our emails. Click on the 'get the daily newsletter' at the top, right corner of this page. (If you see something that says, "hi, username," then you're already registered. In that case, click on "email settings" under the drop-down tab under your name.)
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.Write a new post...What do you want to share?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something