This Memorial Day weekend is the perfect time to wheel out the grill, dust it off, and fire it up. Instead of the usual burgers and hot dogs, try cooking fresh salmon steaks.
Famed for its health benefits and omega-3 fatty acids, salmon holds up great on the grill. You can always use a seafood grill to keep fish from falling into the flames, too.
For this recipe, the salmon is glazed with a homemade teriyaki sauce and served with grilled scallions.
This recipe is the perfect way to celebrate Memorial Day weekend.
Grilled Salmon Steaks with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- Serves 4 people
- Cooking time: about 30 minutes
- Gluten-free, dairy-free
- 4 salmon steaks
- Bunch of scallions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat the grill.
- Meanwhile, to make the teriyaki sauce, whisk together all of the ingredients. Set aside. The teriyaki sauce may be made up to two days in advance and refrigerated.
- Brush the salmon and scallions with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Once the grill is hot, place the salmon steaks and scallions on the grill. Cook the fish over high heat for a few minutes, then flip and move to a cooler part of the grill to finish cooking.
- Brush with the teriyaki sauce to glaze the fish.
- Remove the fish from heat once it's cooked through and beginning to flake. Likewise, remove the scallions once they are tender.
- To serve, place the salmon steaks on plates and top with a few grilled scallions. Drizzle with a little teriyaki sauce. Enjoy!