- Roundabouts, those circular roadway creations, may be coming to Manhattan Beach. On its consent calendar Tuesday night, City Council is set to add dollars to consultant Fehr & Peers' contract to allow the company to assess having roundabouts in three of the city's most fun intersections, all of which involve Ardmore Avenue/Valley Drive. The junctures are at Ardmore/Valley and Manhattan Beach Boulevard, 15th Street and Pacific Avenue. "Field observations" will be conducted to study "grade, bicycle, pedestrian, vehicle accessibility (e.g. is property access affected), and vehicle travel, in addition to parking usage, queue length, visibility and delay. We will look carefully at points of interaction between motorists, pedestrians and cyclists." Meeting time is 6 p.m. in council chambers at 1400 Highland Avenue. As with all regularly scheduled City Council meetings held in chambers, the meeting will be webcast live.
- Thursday is the day last year's winners of the Manhattan Beach Open, Jenny Kropp, Whitney Pavlik, Sean Scott and John Hyden, receive their Volleyball Walk of Fame inductions. The ceremony takes place on the Manhattan Beach Pier at 3 p.m.
- Tech Con 2013 for educators will be held at Manhattan Beach Middle School on Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The event, put on by the Manhattan Beach Unified School District, costs $100 per registrant; if five register, a sixth may attend at no charge. eBackpacks, Google apps in the classroom, Evernote, Prezi, Edmodo and other informative topics will be discussed. Karina Gerger, at (310) 318.7345, ext. 5918 or firstname.lastname@example.org, is the contact person.
- School starts on Wednesday, Aug. 28 for students enrolled in MBUSD.
- Make sure you're "Patched In" to get alerts on breaking news as it happens in town this week (and after), make sure you are signed up to get our emails. Click on the 'get the daily newsletter' at the top, right corner of this page. (If you see something that says, "hi, username," then you're already registered. In that case, click on "email settings" under the drop-down tab under your name.)
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.Write a new post...What do you want to share?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something